Combining vertical machining center milling and Friction Stir Welding (FSW) capabilities for a HYBRID Multi-Tasking system. Featuring a CAT 40 taper spindle, full vertical traveling column design and fixed table for long and heavy workpieces. A table center partition allows the work envelope to be transformed into two separate work areas, and it has fast rapid traverse rates to reduce non-cut times.
The machine’s FSW package uses frictional heat and forging pressure to create full-penetration, defect-free, and strong welded joints. The Mazak FSW head incorporates a non-consumable tool and a solid-state joining process to join two metal plates without melting the material. Commonly considered a forging process, FSW is well suited for joining alloys with low melting points, including aluminum, copper and brass.
- FSW package for full-penetration, defect-free welded joints with minimal heat
- MAZATROL SmoothG control for advanced high-speed, high-accuracy performance
- Long fixed table design
- Optional table partition available
- Standard 15,000 rpm CAT 40 taper spindle
- 1,574 ipm rapid traverse rate
- 24-tool (48 optional) storage capacity
- Automatic tool changer
- Maximum table load of 3,300 lbs.